Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez / Getty
*Tory Lanez has filed a motion to appeal the conviction in his Megan Thee Stallion shooting case.
Late last year, the rapper — whose legal name is Daystar Peterson — was convicted of assault and felony weapons charges for shooting Meg in the feet during a 2020 argument in the Hollywood Hills, Fox LA reports. He is facing a maximum potential sentence of 22 years and eight months in state prison. The sentencing date is set for April 10.
In the meantime, Lanez’s legal team wants a new trial because, as Uproxx reports, they claim the judge “erroneously allowed” jurors to watch “a September 2020 Instagram post from Lanez’s personal account claiming Megan’s now-estranged best friend Kelsey Harris was not the shooter.”
The rapper has hired David Kenner, who previously represented Suge Knight and Snoop Dogg, to appeal the conviction.
Tory Lanez discusses his creative process during BMI’s How I Wrote That Song 2018 on January 27, 2018 in New York City. (Photo by Roy Rochlin/Getty Images for BMI)
We reported previously that Lanez also hired famed lawyer Jose Baez, who fiercely defended Casey Anthony during her 2011 murder trial. Anthony was eventually acquitted of murdering her daughter, Caylee Anthony. Baez hosted on TMZ Live where he explained that Lanez should have hired him sooner.
“I can tell you looking at this case, I certainly wish I had come in sooner as opposed to later, and unfortunately, this is the way it is, but he’s got me now,” said Baez. “I am willing to give him everything I have and hopefully we’ll get the best result possible for him.”
He also said that mistakes are made in every trial, and he’s confident there were mistakes made in this specific trial.
“I would say there’s a significant chance that there are numerous errors that are in the system and within this case that should be explored,” Baez said.
The post Tory Lanez Files Motion for New Trial in Megan Thee Stallion Shooting Case appeared first on EURweb.