*A 7-year-old Black boy from Michigan had his legs amputated after an invasive bacterial infection attacked his body.
The mother of the 7-year-old Michigan boy named Kaden told “Good Morning America” that he started to get sick before Christmas but she didn’t think his ailments were serious. The child’s mother, Michele Stevenson of Grand Blanc, Michigan, thought her son had a stomach bug or a common cold but after four days of resting, Kaden became progressively worse.
“I’m thinking maybe he might have the flu just because of the pain he kept talking about. So I’m thinking it might be just body aches or something like that. But by the time I got to him, I couldn’t put his shoes on, I couldn’t put his coat on, he was in that much pain,” Stevenson recalled.
“Something just felt off,” she said. “So I looked him over. His right leg was swollen. He had a rash all over his body. His eyes look puffy to me and it seemed like that all happened within a short period of time.”
A Michigan mom is warning other parents to pay attention to their kids and take action if they seem unwell after her son developed strep A and influenza A infections and had to get a double amputation.https://t.co/YYl3vXwonI
— Good Morning America (@GMA) March 23, 2023
Stevenson took the boy to the hospital where Kaden was diagnosed with Invasive group A strep, a rare bacterial infection that attacks multiple parts of the body, including the blood.
As GMA reports, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a warning last December after several children in Illinois reportedly died from similar infections. According to ABC News, Invasive group A causes about 2,300 deaths in the United States every year.
Kaden is now on the road to recover as he waits for his prosthetic legs, GMA reports.
“If your kid has any of those signs of fever, they complain of pain, you see any rashes, just take them to the emergency,” Stevenson said. “And listen to your kids. They tell you they don’t feel good? Don’t just sweep it under the rug, assuming that it’s a little cold. Get it checked out.”
The post Michigan Boy Has Legs Amputated After Rare Bacterial Infection | Video appeared first on EURweb.